You may already look to retinol as a key ingredient in skincare for your face. But you may be overlooking how this potent ingredient can also benefit the skin around your eyes. Eye-area skin is much thinner and more delicate than skin on other parts of your face and has special needs.
The eye area has fewer oil glands and produces less collagen, which can accentuate the look of skin aging. Not only that, repetitive facial expressions such as smiling, can also contribute to fine lines and wrinkles over time. Eye creams containing retinol are specially formulated for the fragile area around the eyes to combat signs of aging and fatigue.
Retinol is a powerful anti-aging ingredient and especially good for eye-area skin. It can help skin retain moisture and stimulate collagen production to help improve the look of:
- Fine lines and wrinkles
- Crow’s feet
- Under eye puffiness and dark circles
What Is Retinol in Skincare?
A review of studies published in The Journal of Clinical and Aesthetic Dermatology confirmed that retinol in eye care helps decrease the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines.
A derivative of Vitamin A, retinol is a powerhouse skincare ingredient that dermatologists and skincare professionals widely recommend for a wide range of anti-aging benefits. Retinol is known to:
- Support cellular turnover
- Support collagen production for firmer, plumper-looking skin
- Brighten the appearance of dull or sallow skin
- Fade the appearance of dark spots
By boosting collagen production and promoting cell turnover, retinol can help reduce the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines common to the eye area.
What To Know About Choosing an Eye Cream With Retinol
Because retinol can sometimes cause skin irritation, it’s important to use a formula that’s specifically developed for use around the eye area. Using too strong of a retinol product in the eye area can cause irritation and lead to skin flaking, redness, and dryness.
Other skin-smoothing ingredients in an eye cream, such as grape seed oil and shea butter, can help counteract the possible skin-irritating side effects of retinol.
If you’re not used to using an eye cream with retinol it can take some time for your skin to build up tolerance. Try using 2-3 times per week to begin and gradually increase usage.
Also, because retinol increases skin’s photosensitivity, retinol eye creams are typically recommended for PM use. If using in the AM, it is always recommended to use an SPF 30 or higher.
Eye Cream vs Face Cream
- Eye creams with retinol should be used in addition to other face products for a complete skincare regimen. Swiping your facial moisturizer to include your eye area won’t have the same effect as using an eye cream and a separate cream for your face.
- Eye area skincare is specifically formulated for delicate skin with ingredients that provide anti-aging benefits in the right amounts for the delicate eye area.
- Eye creams are typically thicker than creams intended for the face. Those that include retinol are formulated with the precise amount to provide anti-aging benefits around the eye area.
Tensage Stem Cell Eye Cream
Tensage Stem Cell Eye Cream is dermatologically-tested eye cream with retinol and other skin-enhancing ingredients to specifically combat multiple signs of aging around the eyes.
Applied nightly to eye-area skin, it can help:
- Reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles
- Diminish the appearance of under eye puffiness, dark circles, and crow’s feet
- Firm and plump the look of skin
Key Ingredients In Tensage Stem Cell Eye Cream
CellPro™ Technology — A protein extract from the egg of the Cryptomphalus aspersa snail, it’s clinically proven to promote healthy stem cell function in producing healthy, new stem cells. It is clinically proven to help:
- Reduce visible signs of aging
- Reinforce skin integrity
- Restore healthy, youthful-looking skin
CellPro Technology has clinically proven1,2,3 results. In a 90-day study with twice daily application, patients saw:
- 119% increase in collagen
- 50% increase in elastin
- 26% increase in epidermal thickness
Other key ingredients in Tensage Stem Cell Eye Cream:
- Retinol — Supports cellular renewal to help reduce the look of crows feet, fine lines and wrinkles and improve skin tone and texture
- Caffeine — Helps reduce puffiness and dark circles in skin under the eyes
- Shea butter — Bolsters skin’s moisture, absorbs easily, and helps smooth skin
- Grape seed extract — Helps soften skin, boost moisture, and evens skin tone
Look More Radiant and Glowing
Make an anti-aging eye cream part of your skincare routine to make your overall appearance more radiant and glowing. If you use an eye cream with retinol in the morning, be sure to also use sunscreen.