Seasonal Skincare: Changing Your Routine With the Seasons
As each new season emerges, you may notice that your skin can look and feel a little different, too. Cold winter dry air can make skin feel and look dull. The humidity that usually accompanies spring and summer can cause skin to look clammy. You may wonder whether you should stick to the same skincare routine year round or change it with the seasons.
Since each season brings new temperatures and changes in moisture in the air, it may be beneficial for you to adapt your products to the seasons. Everyone’s skin is different, depending on their skin type and where they live. Here are some tips to get your skin glowing all year long.
Fall and Winter Skincare Tips
The air becomes drier in many parts of the country in fall and winter. Indoor heat can also suck the moisture out of the air and your skin..
Consider these skincare practices for a fall skincare and winter skincare routine.
- Be gentle. Harsh winter cold and dryness can stress skin and make it more sensitive. Soothe skin with products designed for all skin types, including sensitive skin.
- Tensage Gentle Gel Cleanser washes impurities away as it hydrates.
- Exfoliating Cream Cleanser gently washes away dead skin cells to reveal smoother skin beneath.
- Repair skin. If you spent a lot of time in the sun during spring and summer, that may have impacted your skin’s pigmentation.
- Tensage Intensive Serum 50 is an intensive boosted treatment serum for dramatic improvement of moderate to severe signs of aging. Contains SCA Biorepair Technologies with peptides and skin firming and brightening agents for fast results in improvement.
- KNR Serum contains Vitamin C, kojic acid, niacinamide and retinol, a Vitamin A derivative, to even out skin tone and reduce the look of uneven pigmentation. Skincare with Vitamin C and other antioxidants can brighten skin and help reduce the appearance of hyperpigmentation. Retinol can repair skin damage from ultraviolet (UV) radiation.
- Focus on hydration. Less humidity indoors and outdoors calls for more skin hydration. Look for moisturizing skincare with hydrating ingredients like hyaluronic acid that helps optimize moisture balance.
- Tensage Soothing Cream Moisturizer with hyaluronic acid provides hydration and growth factor benefits to help improve signs of aging.
- Keep skin sun-safe — even in winter. If you use skincare with retinol, be sure to add a layer of sunscreen during the day, when you’re indoors and outdoors.
Other Things To Consider
Mayo Clinic recommends using an indoor humidifier to help ease dry skin. Be sure to clean the unit according to the unit’s directions and change the water frequently to prevent bacteria from polluting indoor air.
Also consider covering parts of your face with a warm scarf to prevent chafing in cold, harsh winds.
Spring and Summer Skincare Tips
The good news about the warmer months is that there tends to be more moisture in the air, which can benefit skin. Warming temperatures can also worsen some skin concerns, such as hyperpigmentation, sun sensitivity and oiliness.
Longer days also means more sun exposure. An increase in UV radiation can affect skin pigmentation. That’s why it’s essential to apply sunscreen every day of the year, even when you’re indoors. It’s important to apply sunscreen frequently throughout the day in the warmer months, especially if you like to spend a lot of time outdoors. If you swim, be sure to reapply sunscreen after you dry off.
For warmer temperatures and sunnier days, here are some summer skincare and spring skincare tips to consider.
- Cleanse thoroughly. Whether you spend time indoors or outdoors, you expose your skin to environmental toxins, such as pollution. Warmer temperatures can lead to more sweat and increased oil production, which can lead to clogged pores. Help remedy these concerns by using a daily exfoliating cleanser. Gentle exfoliation removes pore-clogging dead skin cells to reveal the glow of newer skin.
- Protect skin. If your skin tends to be more oily in the warmer months, look for oil-free skincare.
- Tensage Daily Serum contains vitamin C to brighten skin, niacinamide, hyaluronic acid and antioxidant benefits.
- Brighten skin. To prevent and treat sun damage, look for brightening skincare that defends against free radicals.
- XCP Brightening Serum provides antioxidant protection and can improve the look of photodamaged skin.
- Keep skin sun-safe. Sunscreen’s important all year-round, but it’s especially essential during spring and summer.
Establish a Good Skincare Routine All Year Long
Be sure to apply sunscreen all year long, even when you plan to stay indoors. Establishing a good skincare routine year round is important. Apply skincare in this order:
- Toner, if you need it. A good cleanser can eliminate the need for toner.
- Treatment products, such as serums
- Eye cream
Always read the directions on skincare products. Some products recommend daytime and/or nighttime use, depending on the ingredients.
Looking for dermatologist-recommended, clinically-proven skincare? Check out:
- For fall and winter: Sensitive Skin Set. This gentle, yet effective, skincare set works for all skin types. It includes:
- Tensage Daily Serum to protect and repair skin
- Tensage Soothing Cream Moisturizer to deliver hydration
- Gentle Gel Cleanser to support clear skin and remove impurities.
- For spring and summer: Hyperpigmentation Defense Set. is a multi-faceted combination approach to reveal a more even, luminous complexion. It suppresses excess pigment production to help prevent the visible appearance of new hyperpigmentation and sun spots. The set includes:
- XCP Brightening Serum for AM use to help improve the appearance of uneven skin tone and defends against free radicals
- KNR Serum for PM use with power ingredients that help brighten and even skin tone
- Exfoliating Cream Cleanser to firm and tighten skin around the eyes
Soothe and support your skin during any season. Shop anti-aging skincare products now.